free web site hit counter

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Today has been a very interesting day. First, I read the New York Times as I do most Sunday mornings. In the Arts & Leisure section there were reviews of Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Linda Sundblad. I have recently become somewhat obsessed with both these artists through Into The Groove and Catchy Tunes of Sweden respectively, so I was excited to see them reviewed in American "old media" so they can be discovered by people who don't read Popjustice. The reviews were written by Kelefa Sanneh, who appears to be a big supporter of pop music.

Later, I went to H&M to buy clothes when I heard on the in-store radio "Beware of the Dog" by Jamelia. I became confused because I'm pretty sure Jamelia does not have an US record deal and that song was not released stateside. If someone could clarify how such chain stores get their music that would be a big help.

1 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

Oh wow! We only get the NY Times on the weekdays, but I may have to go buy this Sunday edition--that's pretty neat!

No idea about Jamelia, though...that's a good question, because a lot of stores do seem to have some surprising artists from outside the U.S. on their playlists sometimes (I've heard that about Abercrombie & Fitch, and I know I heard Will Young in a store once, which I thought was really strange--if anything, it's the danceable songs that seem to be appropriated, and his music is generally pretty far from that).

2/04/2007 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home