free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 09, 2006

I Know Why Angels Cry

Hello and welcome to the next installment of the girl from America who can't vote in Eurovision talking about the songs. If it seems that I hate all the songs, that's only because I only talked about the bottom 7 so far. Starting with this post, I'll get to talk about songs that I actually like.

30. Cyprus
Annette Artani - "Why Angels Cry"
Reaction: Annette did not write this song. She did write "Everytime", the best ballad about Justin Timberlake ever written, and that makes me wonder if she herself could have written something better than this. It's a dramatic ballad about wanting peace and love and angels crying. Anytime someone brings out the crying angels I bring out the cynic in me. It immediately reminded me of an original song I read in a fanfiction once that I thought was a bit overdramatic, but this one is much worse because I can hear it (and she gets a little shouty towards the end). It's not awful, but it's nowhere near my favorite ballad this year.
Best Part: ""Why do the angels cry?/Innocent children die"
Rating: 2/5

29. Israel
Eddie Butler - "Ze Hazman"
Reaction: This is a nice song that is in no way bad, but I just find it boring. The singer sings well, but I just don't feel anything, good or bad. I feels kind of American Idol-like. On another note, this is one of two songs (the other being Sweden's) in this contest where I'm not sure if the song's about a lover or God - it's the "raise your hands and pray for love together" that does it.
Best Part:"I know that we/we can make it if we try"
Rating: 2/5

28. Spain
Las Ketchup - "Bloody Mary"
Reaction: This is the line between "songs I dislike" and "songs I like". The lyrics are funny, almost like Croatia's entry, but making more sense. They deserve votes simply for the line about swearing to Dior (instead of Dios, which is God in Spanish. See, it's a pun!) However the music itself is a little boring, a little elevator music-y, and it lacks a chorus. Also the "duty free, duty free, DUTY FREE!" is more than a little annoying.
Best Part:"Un bloodymary por favor" or "Juro por Dior que no quise"
Rating: 2/5

27. Albania
Luiz Ejlli - "Zjarr e Ftohe"
Reaction: This song is very underrated. Every ranking by other people that I read always has this song very close to the bottom. I really don't think it's that bad, but it could use more oomph. The verses seem to drag on and it doesn't get to the chorus soon enough.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 2/5

26. Denmark
Sidsel Ben Semanne - "Twist Of Love"
Reaction: I really do like this song; it's very fun and catchy. I love the bridge for some reason. The only problem is that it's very old-fashioned in both sound and subject matter (the twist). Although it took a while, it grew on me.
Best Part: "A twist of love/a twist of pain/a twist of me and you"
Rating: 3/5

Well, that's another five songs. Next week I'll have songs 21-25, and I'll say things about them. Will those things be positive or negative? You'll just have to wait and see!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, love the title of your blog! My friends can tell when I'm lying when I start talking in that Rainier Wolfcastle "ze goggles do nussink" accent. I didn't think anybody in the US watched Eurovision! My fave songs this year are Romania, Croatia, Germany and Norway, but I really hope Finland does well.

4/20/2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home