free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stuck in an Eastern European kinda funk

It’s time for the second week of my Eurovision ranking, still at the tail end with songs 31 through 35. After coming up with this week’s list of songs, I realized that they have something in common, giving this post its title. I don’t mean this to be an insult towards those countries: I’ve had all but Estonia in my top 5 before. Their songs this year just don’t impress me.

35. Belarus
3+2 - “Butterflies"
Reaction: This would be a fine dramatic ballad if all went well, as it’s got the right parts: strings, soft drumming, vocal harmonies. However, the whole product is so dull that it could be called what some fans term “funeral dirge.” The melody is pleasant, but it’s performed with little emotion or energy and is thus forgettable.
Best part: Last chorus
Rating: 1/5

34. Ukraine
Alyosha - “Sweet People"
Reaction: Another one of those “the world is bad” songs in the vein of, say, “Nobody Hurt No One.” Despite the serious subject, it doesn’t make an impact and the music isn’t interesting
Best part: “In theatres and video games/They watch what we send to ruin”
Rating: 2/5

33. Estonia
Malcolm Lincoln - “Siren"
Reaction: This is one of those songs that a lot of people like for being different and modern and interesting, but I just can’t get into it. The chorus is decent, but the verses are just as monotonal and annoying as a siren.
Best part: Chorus
Rating: 2/5

32. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Gjoko Taneski feat. Billy Zver & Pejcin - "Jas ja imam silata"
Reaction: I wanted to like this song, as every year I grow more accustomed to Balkans-style Eurovision rock. It’s better than their effort last year, but it could be better. The rap part is awkward.
Best part: Guitar solo
Rating: 2/5

31. Romania
Paula Seling feat. Ovi - "Playing with fire”
Reaction: I can see where this upbeat song might appeal to some, but the melody doesn’t appeal to me. The bridge, with Ms. Seling vocalizing a very high note, sounds very strange and not in a good way.
Best part: Instrumental intro
Rating: 2/5

Next week: Songs 26-30!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home