free web site hit counter

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Scandinavia, Spring, and Shalalie

This week had a total of 5 songs selected for Eurovision, three of them from Scandinavian countries. Iceland chose “Je Ne Sais Quoi” which of course I am thrilled with, since it has “fan favorite” written all over it.

Norway chose “My Heart is Yours,” which sounds vaguely Irish. I was a little confused as to why people like it until I saw the songwriting credit -- it’s more of that Fredrik Kempe song magic. The lyrics are a little creepy ("I watch you at night" really?) instead of romantic at first listen, though.

Denmark chose “In A Moment Like This,” co-written by another songwriter of fan favorites, Thomas G:Son. It’s not my favorite song from the national final, but it’s decent.

Cyprus chose “Life looks better in spring,” which I’m not enthusiastic about yet. It has a good melody but it’s missing energy. I like it better than last year’s song, though.

The Netherlands chose the worst possible arrangement for their song “Ik ben verliefd (Shalalie)”, which sounds even more old-fashioned than the demo version.

I’m not going to comment on the Azerbaijani or German semifinals just yet as they seem to be choosing the singer rather than the song.

Slovakia had another two quarterfinals. I liked “Horehronie” and “PRidaj si ma” but not many of the others.

The best comes last: Sweden had their first semifinal. None of the songs stood out as “fan favorites” but it was still a pretty amazing set. “Unstoppable” brings back Natalie as a recurring character, and I applaud that practice in modern songs. “You’re Making Me Hot Hot Hot” is a classic 5th place song. “The Saviour” is ridiculous quasi-religious rock musical theater. “Keep on Walking” is burned into my head, its chorus so catchy it’s going to get annoying. And I get the feeling that “Road Salt” is going to be this year’s “Snalla Snalla,” although I’m wrong whenever I get these feelings.

Next week is a little slower: semifinals in Sweden and Slovakia, and finals in Armenia and Poland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home