free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Feminnem is back...and so is everybody else

Before I start the post, a partially-fictional conversation:
Me: "I don't think I'll go to Oslo. It's not worth the trouble."
An hour later...
Croatia: "We picked Feminnem."
Me: "What."


Just as I was about to give up on the whole thing this year, Croatia made me proud and chose Feminnem with "Lako je sve." I don't like it as much as "Call Me" but it's a strong ballad and it's great to see them return.

Some other familiar faces were chosen this week. Ireland also chose a former entrant, 1993 winner Niamh Kavanagh with "It's For You". Along with Norway this is the best ballad in a sea of ballads so far. Lithuania chose InCulto with "Eastern European Funk" who made an attempt back in 2006. I like this song better than both their song in 2006, "Welcome to Lithuania", and the song that eventually won their selection. Moldova chose Olia Tira, who had been making attempts for nearly every year that they've entered the contest. This year she performs "Run Away" with SunStroke Project, an interesting dance song. Sweden also chose a familiar face from their Andra Chansen to move into the final: Jessica Andersson, who represented them in 2003.

Early this week Azerbaijan chose their song...or did they? I'll write on their song later, assuming they choose one by the time I get to my ranking.

Turkey chose "We could be the same," an upbeat pop-rock song that feels very modern

Romania chose "Playing with Fire," an upbeat pop duet featuring piano.

Ukraine and Portugal are similar in that they both chose generic and dated ballads that are sentimental enough to be enjoyable but not memorable.

Russia chose "Lost and Forgotten," whose title may be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Belgium presented "Me and My Guitar," an honest-sounding acoustic guitar ballad that will appeal to everyone but me.

Nine countries have songs that remain unchosen or unpresented: Azerbaijan, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Serbia, Sweden, United Kingdom. By next week all of them (with the possible exeption of Azerbaijan) should be known, in the last weekend of the national final season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home