free web site hit counter

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Very Obvious Top 5

Welcome to the last Eurosunday ranking post of 2007. I want to thank all the readers who have read and commented on my posts these past few months. Here are my top 5 songs.

5. Spain
D’Nash – “I Love You Mi Vida”
Reaction: This wasn't my favorite potential Spanish song, but it's still a great song. The guitar throughout the song makes the whole thing danceable, not just the chorus. The lyrics are also interesting, even though I can only understand about half of them.
Best Part:Key change
Rating: 5/5

4. Cyprus
Evridiki– “Comme Ci Comme Ca”
Reaction:Funny that this song has the same draw in the semi as the song that was in this position last year. This is a very cool electro/rock song. Evridiki sings it with an appropriate mix of boredom and anger that makes the message of the song clear.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 5/5

3. Sweden
The Ark– “The Worrying Kind”
Reaction: I know it’s an unpopular opinion on the pop side of music blogs, but I have grown to love this song. It’s probably a bad thing, but I relate to the lyrics of this song way too much. If loving a song for its lyrics alone is an indie/emo thing to do, don’t fear, because I also love the music. It sounds kind of like “Love Knows (Where My Rosemary Grows)” meets “Waterloo”, which doesn’t sound appealing on paper because I strongly dislike the first song, but turns out to be great. This song also made me give a second listen to the Ark’s other song and turned me into a fan of theirs (I bought their new CD, loved it, and recommended it to my friends). Surely the most fun song about anxiety disorders ever.
Best Part:
Rating: 5/5

2. Serbia
Marija Serifovic– “Molitva”
Reaction: First, I have something I want to say, and that is that the negatice comments across the interwebs about Marija's appearance seem a little misogynist to me. There are a few male performers this year who are, in my opinion, very unattractive, but you don't hear anyone talking about them, do you?
Now that that's out of the way, this is a beautiful ballad, and my favorite Eurovision ballad since "Angel" in 2005. It is intense and dramatic at some parts and gentle at others. Marija sings the song well and has a great vocal range.
Best Part: The long note towards the end
Rating: 5/5

1. Belarus
Koldun– “Work Your Magic”
Reaction: If you haven’t heard, I am a big geek. It’s basically “Never Let You Go, Part 2” and with any other lyrics would have also gotten a 4/5. But I gave it that extra point because it’s about magic, and I am a loser who thinks magic is cool. Partly because of this, and because of the James Bond style intro, the song is ridiculously cheesy and over-the-top, and I love it. Best Belarusian entry ever (yes, even better than “Love Me Tonight”), and my top entry of the year.
Best Part: : “I am able and I’m willing, yes I’m willing” This is the best part of any song this year
Rating:5/5

This week, I'm going to also have some other, more fun, Eurovision Top 5 lists, as well as reviewing the semifinal and the final (which I didn't do last year, so severe was my shock at Anzej doing poorly) so keep checking back every day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction -- D’Nash – “I Love You Mi Vida” is Sweden.

And I thought I was the only Eurovision fan in NY.

5/07/2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Totally agree with you on what you say about Marija. I think her looks are part of the songs charm. If it's not misogynist, it's downright insulting.

I also agree on Sweden. I now love it, and think it's a potential winner.

5/07/2007 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fan if he can't even get the countries right (ok - it has a Swedish songwriter, but it is still Spain's entry).

I think Marija could look better with a little work (that haircut doesn't flatter her at all), but Chiara finished second and she doesn't offer anything in the eye candy department either - just a strong voice.

I don't see any resemblance between "The Worrying Kind" and "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" (you have the title wrong), but several other people have also mentioned it, so what do I know?

I hate that entry though, and I hope that the OGAE clubs' low rating of it carries over to the general public.

Koldun sounds like he sings "Yes, I'm wheeling," but I have heard much worse English pronunciation. :)

I probably have Cyprus as my number one, and Belarus as my number two, but Cyprus might not even get out of the semifinal (and Belarus certainly will), so I have more of my hopes for a result that I like pinned on Belarus doing well.

I predict that both of your favorites will end up in the top five this year (I know everyone overuses that, but they seem way above the rest of the songs in the semifinal, and only a few songs in the final even come close to them).

I also predict that Verka will also reach the top five (sorry), and Scooch believe it or not will crack the very bottom of the top ten.

5/08/2007 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home