free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Vampires Are Alive; I Am Not

Here it is...my top 10! I'm going to pull the "I have not been sleeping" excuse again for my short reactions, because I am too tired to think clearly. Last year I had the 2nd place song as number 9, and the 3rd place song as number 6, and while the former is likely to happen again this year, the latter most likely will not.

10. Georgia
Sopho – “Visionary Dream”
Reaction: This song is very quirky, a bit "Ray of Light"-ish. I don't know how well it will go on stage but the recording is very relaxing to listen to.
Best Part:Chorus
Rating: 4/5

9. Switzerland
DJ Bobo – “Vampires Are Alive”
Reaction:At first I hated this song, and now I really, really like it. It has worked its way into my head and it won’t get out. It’s a eurodance song about vampires!
Best Part:Second half of the chorus “Vampiiiiiires are alive/And we will be forever young”
Rating: 4/5

8. FYR Macedonia
Karolina Gocheva – “Mojot Svet”
Reaction: This song has lots of interesting ethnic instruments, an epic chorus, and if sung partially in English, the potential to be more amazing. The verses aren't that great, but the chorus makes up for it.
Best Part:False key change
Rating: 4/5

7. Slovenia
Alenka Gotar – “Cvet Z Juga”
Reaction:I'm not usually a fan of opera, but this is a special case. This has a dance beat and a catchy tune to rival last year's. Because she is a trained singer, Alenka is probably one of the better singers in this year's competition, and if there's anything that we can learn from the failure of "Je T'adore" it's that it doesn't matter how great the song is if the singer can't sing live.
Best Part:High note at the end
Rating: 4/5

6. Moldova
Natalia Barbu – “Fight”
Reaction:This has been one of my favorites since the beginning. It's a dramatic rock song with pretty good lyrics. It sounds a little like an Evanescence song (maybe "Bring Me To Life"), but much better.
Best Part:Key change
Rating: 4/5

Next week is my top 5, some of which I think will either be doomed to the lower half of the scoreboard for being early in the draw and others I think may have a chance at winning (this is going by the betting odds though, which have been wrong before).

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Ace that you have Moldova in your top 10. I'm hoping she'll bring the boys in the shirts+ties from the video onto the stage with her.

Not really getting all the FYR Macedonia love. I think it's fairly standard really.

4/29/2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger Poster Girl said...

Ooo! That means you have "I Love You Mi Vida" and Nash (or D'Nash, or D'NASH, or whatever) in your top five! That's so exciting! I thought I was the only person who loved them/their song! I think it's my favorite, though Serebro's song is not too far behind.

Can't wait for your top five...

4/29/2007 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did you rate your numbers 10, 9, 8, and 7 songs 4/5 and your number 6 song 3/5?

So that leaves Belarus, Cyprus, Serbia, Spain, and Sweden as your top five. I have three of those (Belarus, Cyprus, and Serbia) in my top five, and Spain probably near the bottom of my top ten.

I have Sweden way down near the bottom, though. It seems like a bad Queen song to me.

Most of your other rankings seem very close to mine, too, although I do like Armenia a lot, and I have some sympathy (as entertainment, not as quality songs) for the two novelty entries (UK and Ukraine) you have near the bottom.

Rehearsals start TODAY!

5/03/2007 4:49 AM  
Blogger Goggle said...

Thanks for catching the typo. I did mean to rate Moldova 4 out of 5 (and now I have change it to reflect that) but I stayed out too late on Saturday night and thus made lots of mistakes when writing this on Sunday, which I thought I had caught until now.

I also have some sympathy for the UK and Ukraine songs, and I think they will have entertaining performances, but I'm just trying to rate them all on my opinion of the songs alone.

5/03/2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Video of some of the rehearsals of your favorites:

Belarus:
http://www.youtube.com/v/IyUUrVn-OAU

Cyprus:
http://www.youtube.com/v/EsCuowvMX0U

Modolva:
http://www.youtube.com/v/DLaydsslNsk

Serbia:
http://www.youtube.com/v/1eOtbx5A15I

5/04/2007 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home