free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 08, 2007

100th Post!

Today is a very special Eurovision Sunday, and not only because it is Easter. This is my 100th post on The Goggles Do Nothing! It took me over a year to do it, but it's here!

This week’s songs are a bit like Easter candy. Turkey is like a milk chocolate rabbit, because it may look different, but it is ordinary milk chocolate, and too sweet for my tastes. Iceland is like Peeps eaten properly, because it is a bit stale but still delicious. Ireland is like dark chocolate, because it is not to everyone’s taste, is a little plainer than the common option (milk chocolate), but might be good for you. Romania is like jelly beans, because there is a different flavor for everyone. Belgium is like creme-filled chocolate eggs, because while it looks boring on the outside it is surprisingly tasty.

25. Turkey
Kenan Dogulu – “Shake It Up Sekerim”
Reaction: This song has been described by many as a Turkish Justin Timberlake, and I would have to agree. While the song has a nice beat, it is just not exciting enough to stand out among other similar songs. Also, the lyrics are too silly to be sexy, with “sweet thing” and “lovey dovey” featuring heavily.
Best Part:”I got lots of candy to make you mine” How old exactly is this girl that he can lure with candy?
Rating: 3/5

24. Iceland
Eirikur Hauksson – “Valentine Lost”
Reaction: This is a completely average power ballad with very cheesy and clichéd lyrics that make little sense. Despite all that, or maybe because of all that, I like it, even though I know I shouldn't, and it is definitely my guilty pleasure of this year's contest (you should see the ones I feel no shame about liking). I guess I'm just a sucker for an over-the-top vocal performance.
Best Part: "A passion killed by acid rain/A roller coaster in my brain"
Rating: 3/5

23. Ireland
Dervish – “They Can’t Stop The Spring”
Reaction: This is a fairly traditional Irish song with a positive message and a pleasant chorus. Unfortunately, it is too slow in the beginning (even after having been re-done to make it faster) and doesn’t pick up the pace until halfway through.
Best Part: Last chorus
Rating: 3/5

22. Romania
Todomondo– “Liubi liubi I love you”
Reaction: Despite being an obvious vote-grabber (the song features several different languages), this is a pleasant song that is soft but not too boring. Besides the different languages to keep you interested, the song gets faster as it goes on.
Best Part: The end when it is the fastest
Rating: 3/5

21. Belgium
The KMGs– “Love Power”
Reaction: Completely different from anything else in this year’s competition, this is a disco/funk throwback to the 70’s. It might be a little low-energy, but it is pleasant enough to make you smile and maybe even dance. I know I have terrible prediction skills, but I think it could be a dark horse.
Best Part: The part with the vocoders
Rating: 3/5

Next week I crack open the top 20, and might even get to some above average songs, so stick around for next week and see!

3 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

The song recommender machine thing keeps telling me I should like Turkey a lot, but I don't! The chorus just doesn't work for me, for some reason. The same machine also told me I should like Belgium's song and I thought it was crazy at first, but listening to it again I do actually like it, I think--not near the top of my list or anything, but not bad. I haven't listened to the English version of Iceland's song yet, but with your generally positive review, I may have to do that soon.

Congratulations on the 100th post!

4/09/2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger londonboy79 said...

If this were chocolate, Belgium would be the ferrero rocher of these entries. Crispy on the outside but full of smooth praline on the inside.

Personally I like to bite them in half and then lick out the praline bit with my tongue.

4/10/2007 4:03 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Lovely chocolate comparisons!

I, too, have worried about Kenan's candy. And I like the overwrought Icelandic man. I feel patriotic nostalgia listening to the Irish sure. Yes, it's a dirge, but by God, it's our dirge.

I think the best part of the Romania song is the little bell sound after the first verse, when the song's gimmick really kicks in.

4/10/2007 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home