free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Unsubstantial Songs

It's another week of Eurovision songs. This week, I finally get to some songs that I like!

30. Hungary
Magdi Ruzsa – “Unsubstantial Blues”
Reaction: I am not a fan of blues-rock. It bores me, but I understand that lots of people like it. I'm sure the lyrics could be good, but I can't understand them.
Best Part: Don't know
Rating:2/5

29. Portugal
Sabrina – “Danca Comigo (vem ser feliz)”
Reaction: It's a fun song about dancing, but Sabrina has a weak voice and the song is similar to, but not as good as, the similarly-titled "Ven A Bailar Conmigo"
Best Part: Chorus
Rating:2/5

28. Germany
Roger Cicero – “Frauen regier'n die Welt”
Reaction: I have a hard time rating this song because I have a problem with the lyrics - or at least, the translation, and I don't know if the actual lyrics have the same feeling as the translation from which I am getting my impression. The gist of the song is that women rule the world because they have (presumably, sexual) power over men in power. I have a problem with this because that is not women ruling the world - sure, in these examples women are influencing the men, but it is still the men that are in the positions of power and thus are the ones actually ruling the world. Of course, I could just be overreacting and getting the meaning of the song wrong, but since I am basing my dislike of the song only on a translation, I will try to rate it based on the music alone - in that case, it is a catchy little jazz song.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating:3/5

27. Poland
The Jet Set – “Time To Party”
Reaction: This sounds a little like a Fergie song, but with a brass band in the background. The lyrics are very simple, but not at all bad or offensive like Fergie's might be. Because it sounds like something a bigger artist might do, it's one of the more modern songs this year.
Best Part: "Everybody has a right to party – get crazy"
Rating:3/5

26. Estonia
Gerli Padar – “Partners In Crime”
Reaction: This year has quite a few rock songs with female vocals, and this is my least favorite of them. It's still a pretty good song, but the lyrics and melody aren't as interesting as some of the others.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating:3/5

Next week: Songs 21-25, another bunch of average songs (get used to it, because I won't be giving out a 4/5 for a while).

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

The Hungarian song is woeful. All that wailing!

I quite like the Estonian song - it's basically a pop song with added guitar moments.

4/02/2007 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home