free web site hit counter

Monday, February 19, 2007

Leave Me Alone

Sorry for the delay in this week’s Eurovision column. I have had extremely limited internet access this past weekend and today I do too, so this column will be a short one. Also because of this, I won’t be able to talk about any of the semifinals that happened this weekend.

Neither of my predictions came true, again, but I’m not completely disappointed because I like all the songs selected this weekend. I was happy to hear that Hanna Pakarinen with “Leave me alone” won in Finland, because it was my favorite from Finland this year, and so far is in my top 3 songs for this year.

For Iceland Eirikur Hauksson with “Eg les i lofa thinum”. Unlike Finland, this song was not one of my favorites in its preselection, but it’s still pretty good. If the song is translated to English my opinion might change.

Finally, Ireland’s song was a breath of fresh air in the middle of all those rock songs. “They Can’t Stop The Spring” by Dervish is a lovely folk song with a feel-good message about everyone singing together. Plus, it has season-appropriate lyrics about the spring, unlike Denmark’s line about the “moonlit snow” (I’m still annoyed by that, but I’m just weird) The only downside is that it doesn’t really pick up until halfway through the song, which may be too late.

Next week is another big one, with finals in Armenia, Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia, Latvia, Montenegro, and Spain. I’m not going to bother making predictions since I haven’t heard half the songs but if the winning song for Spain is not “I Love You Mi Vida” or “Tu voz se apagara”, I will be very disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home