free web site hit counter

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Second Chances, But Not For Me

Welcome to another Sunday Eurovision roundup! First of all, I want to thank Steve Holyer of ESCToday.com for linking to me in his article! And thank you to all the new readers who found me through ESCToday!

Well, I though I my predictions couldn't get any less accurate and then they did. None of my predictions from last week turned out to be right! The results of the Danish final were especially shocking because the winner, DQ, who sang "Drama Queen", entered the final through the second chance round! I was very disappointed at first because I was really hoping that Me & My would win. I hope that their song becomes popular even though it didn't win - I could see it as a theme song for some children's movie about friendship or something. The winning song isn't too much of an upset because it was my third favorite song. However, I don't think the song itself is interesting or original enough (I have a problem with the line "in between the street light and the moonlit snow" - it makes sense in February but I don't know if a line about snow will fly in May), so to do well I really think there needs to be new choreography. I do like DQ's dress, although maybe that's because I have a similar one. Over in Norway, neither of my predictions came true, and while I was very happy that Dusty Cowshit didn't win (although I got a kick out of hearing their name repeated by the vote announcers), I was very disappointed that Infinity didn't win either. In the end, Guri Schanke won with "Ven A Bailar Conmigo", a catchy Latin-sounding song. So far I could see it qualifying for the final, but it should face competition from Spain, should it pick a better song, which is at this point is a very real possibility. Both of the above winning performances include large feather fans - another possible trend?

In Romania, Locomondo won with "Liubi, Liubi, I Love You". I'm not exactly thrilled - in my notes I wrote one word: "Crap". In my opinion it is boring and repetitive, panders for votes by including lyrics in several different languages, is a big step down from "TornerĂ²", and is my least favorite song so far (so of course it will do well). The Netherlands selected singer Edsilia Rombley, who selected "Nooit meer zonder jou". I haven't seen the performance, but I have heard the song and I think it's pretty good, although once I see a video clip my opinion may change.

This weekend also had three semifinals. Lithuania again had very confusing results, so I'm not even going attempt to cover their preselection until a winner has been selected, however that may happen. Finland had its last semifinal and my favorite song out of that was "See The Signs" by Beats & Styles, but I don't think it has any chance in the final - I think a rock song will win.

The second semifinal of Melodifestivalen in Sweden brought us the other favorites to win, The Ark, and their song "The Worrying Kind". Their style of glam rock is not really my thing, but they have a strong live performance and are extremely energetic.

Next week there are finals in Finland, Iceland, and Ireland. I think that Lovex will win in Finland and Jonsi will win in Iceland, and I haven't heard the Irish songs yet. Of course I'll be wrong again, but you won't know unless you come back again next week!
Note: I will be busy all next weekend and won't be able to post about Eurovision until Monday the 19th, so be patient and I will get it up as early as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home