free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Songs No. 11-15

Happy Sunday! This is the third-to-last Eurovision Sunday ranking post. Last year, the top 5 songs in the final were in my top 15 (the top 10 would have been in my top 20 too, if Lithuania hadn't done as well as it did). Hopefully, I will be just as accurate this year, or maybe even more!

15. Finland
Hanna Pakarinen – “Leave Me Alone”
Reaction: Not quite as good as last year's, but that's a very high standard. It sounds a little like Avril Lavigne (around the time of her second album - but Avril is for another post), which might be a bad thing for some, but not for me.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

14. Denmark
DQ – “Drama Queen”
Reaction: This is a disco-y song with a key change, which is good enough for some people. DQ is a good singer and the melody is very catchy, but I still can't get over the lyrics. Is "everything gonna be all right" with a drama queen around? No, because in the literal sense a drama queen creates drama, which means nothing is all right. And that line about the moonlit snow? According to the internet it is well above freezing in Helsinki, and I imagine it will get even warmer in 2 1/2 weeks.
Best Part: End: "Cause I'm your drama queen toniiiiiiiiight!"
Rating: 3/5

13. Russia
Serebro– “Song No. 1”
Reaction: This sounds a little like Girls Aloud ("Something Kinda Oooh" in particular) to me, but GA have Serebro beat in the lyrics department. This song's lyrics aren't that interesting, but the music is very catchy (and the lyrics are unintelligible enough that they don't really matter)
Best Part: "I've got my bitches standing up next to me" Tee hee.
Rating: 3/5

12. France
Les Fatals Picards– “L'amour a la francaise”
Reaction: This is a sweet rock song. It's half-English and half-French, but the French parts are mostly commonly known phrases so even non-French speakers like me can understand it. Also, the video is one of my favorites this year and is very cute. My only concern is that there is a fade-out in the studio recording, so I hope on stage they will end it well.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 4/5

11. Bulgaria
Elitsa Todorova & Stoyan Yankulov – “Water”
Reaction: I went to a rave once. It was weird and it changed my view of the friends who dragged me to it, but I imagine that if they played this song (which would have fit right in) I would have liked it a little better. This song makes you want to dance bizarrely. It is, in my opinion, the best song from Bulgaria in the ESC so far.
Best Part: The part from about 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes where the singer is going "ho-ho-ho-ho-ho" and "ah-a-a-a-a", etc.
Rating: 4/5

Next week, songs 6-10.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

The going-over-a-cattle-grate part is my favourite bit of the Bulgarian song. And the bit when the crazy drumming kicks in. I hope they can re-create that on stage.

4/26/2007 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You complain about the German lyrics (with some justification), and then call the Russian lyrics (about prostitution) not "interesting?" Hmmmmm.

4/29/2007 4:36 AM  
Anonymous Emmanuel said...

Thanks so much for this article, pretty useful material.
apartment rentals | weather in Paris | black dildo

11/22/2011 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home