free web site hit counter

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Congratulations Good Songs

This week I'll discuss the bottom half of my top ten. I'd be pleased if any of these won, because they only barely failed to make the top five.

10. Germany
Texas Lightning - "No No Never"
Reaction: I'm normally like one of those people who puts under "Music" in their Myspace interests, "everything but country and rap" but for a country song performed by Germans and an Australian, it's actually very good. It has a key change and everything. It's different in a good way, not in a bad way like Daz.
Best Part: "My love gets tougher when the going gets rough"
Rating: 4/5

9. Russia
Dima Bilan - "Never Let You Go"
Reaction: You can accuse me of placing this song so high because he is attractive, but in reality I think his mullet is gross. It'd be better if I understood everything he was saying (I don't think he does) but it's a strong song.
Best Part: "Flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone"
Rating: 4/5

8. Iceland
Silvia Night - "Congratulations"
Reaction: When this song won Iceland's preselection in Icelandic, I didn't like it at all. After the song was re-recorded in English, it became one of my favorites. It's kind of like Lithuania's song, but instead of being a jockish cheer it's a fun song from an over-the-top character. Silvia Night is now my hero, and that's probably the way she wants it.
Best Part: "Hello, is it God? What’s up dog?"
Rating: 4/5

7. Croatia
Severina - "Moja Stikla"
Reaction: Most people on the internet seem to think this is just noise, but it's really a funny folk-style song. It has some of the elements of last year's winner. It's about everything and nothing. The great place in the draw combined with her s-s-s-sex tape all over the internet (everyone loves those; see Paris Hilton) this could be a contender. Afrika paprika!
Best Part: Tie! "S-s-s-sex" and "Afrika paprika!"
Rating: 4/5

6. Bosnia & Herzegovina
Hari Mata Hari - "Lejla"
Reaction: The most beautiful, heartfelt ballad this year. Though I don't understand the words, the emotion is strong enough that I can tell what it's about (an unattainable love). The feeling gets across despite the language barrier, and that's what makes this a great song.
Best Part: "Golube, moj golube"
Rating: 4/5

Next Sunday I'll post my top 5, and try to write more about each one - they've earned it.

CONTEST: A little game for my readers, if I have any. You already know which songs are in my top five - they're the ones I haven't mentioned yet. The first person to guess as a comment the exact order of my top 5 will win...something. I don't know yet, but it can't hurt to try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home