free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 16, 2006

I Hear Your Song

Another Sunday, another five Eurosongs. I've watched four old ESCs (on eurovIL), and seen one actual winner perform (it was Celine Dion, but still), so I think I have enough credibility to do my rankings.

25. Moldova
Arsenium & Natalia Gordienko - "Loca"
Reaction: This is a nice song, mostly in English with a little bit of Spanish. I think this, under different circumstances, could be played on US radio. However, I don't think it'll do well because it's not very exciting.
Best Part: The Spanish parts, because I can understand them all
Rating: 3/5

24. Ireland
Ireland - Brian Kennedy - "Every Song Is A Cry For Love"
Reaction: This is a nice ballad, and the newer arrangement improved it greatly. However, it is a little boring and there are better ballads.
Best Part: "Being strong, being tough/Never tender, always rough"
Rating: 3/5

23. Latvia
Ireland - Cosmos - "I Hear Your Heart"
Reaction: Latvia's entry this year is a lot like their entry last year - young men singing a ballad over soft (or in this case, no) instruments, and while I really want to hate it, it becomes irresistible beyond reason (it must have been temporary insanity that made me buy Walter & Kazha's cover of "Fly On The Wings Of Love" off iTunes). The a capella is a good idea, they sing very well, and the song's pretty good. The only thing keeping it from a 4 is the awful first 30 seconds where it doesn't sound like they know what they're doing.
Best Part: "There are days when we will die/If one more stranger tells us no"
Rating: 3/5

22. Turkey
Sibel Tüzün - "Süper star"
Reaction: I like this year's song from Turkey better than last year's. It's pretty catchy, and should probably have an exciting performance. Also, the umlaut in the title.
Best Part: The chorus
Rating: 3/5

21. Estonia
Sandra Oxenryd - "Through My Window"
Reaction: This is one of the big favorites to qualify from the semifinals. As shown by my ranking, I don't agree, but not because I don't think that it's good. While a strong song, it sounds too much like Germany's and Sweden's songs, which are stronger.
Best Part:"What about the sun you made shine/What about the rain you cried on my pillow"
Rating: 3/5

Well, then. Another 5 songs ranked and analyzed. Next week I'll do my 16-20, and most likely make a lot of people mad, because there is one of the favorites to win in that bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home