free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 23, 2006

4 Underrated Songs...and Greece

Sorry for a late (in the day) post, I was very busy and couldn't get around to posting this until evening. This week we're in the top 20 songs, and you can continue to expect more surprises in my ranking as the weeks go by.

20. Greece
Anna Vissi - "Everything"
Reaction: I know, I know, this is the hot favorite on all the message boards and betting sites. Whether it's because of excited Greece/Anna Vissi fans or just many people who truly think this song is the best is anybody's guess, but for me it's in the middle (of a very strong group). It's a strong ballad, though a little overdramatic, but I feel there are other stronger songs (and ballads) in this year's competition. In one word: overrated.
Best Part: Key change
Rating: 3/5

19. France
Virginie Pouchin - "Il Etait Temps"
Reaction:In one word: underrated. A very lovely ballad, and I do prefer it to Greece's. Although it is lovely, I can understand the poor opinions of it because it really isn't memorable and France's poor track record in recent years. Still, it is worth a second listen.
Best Part: "Il était temps qu’enfin le ciel se rappelle de moi"
Rating: 3/5

18. Ukraine
Tina Karol - "Show Me Your Love"
Reaction:The people responsible for choosing the Ukranian entry must have learned a lesson after last year's poor result, because this song is pretty good. Especially in the chorus, it's very catchy; it includes many of the elements of last year's winner. Unrelated to the song, I like her hair.
Best Part: "Show feelings everydaaaaaaaaaaaaay"
Rating: 3/5


17. Armenia
André - "Without Your Love"
Reaction: This song is also very catchy, and is a very good first entry from Armenia. This song will not only be Armenia's first impression in the contest but also the first impression of the songs in this year's contest: he performs first in the semi-final. However, there are other stronger uptempo songs with male singers that I prefer over this.
Best Part: "Tell me what I have to do/Since I love you"
Rating: 3/5

16. Andorra
Jenny - "Sense Tu"
Reaction: This song is overdramatic like Greece's (the subject matter is even the same), but unlike Greece's it is not dramatic in a desperate way but in a diva way. From the video, you can tell that the singer has an attitude that gives the song a boost, and the arrangement gives the song a bit of an edge.
Best Part: "Sense tu/sense tu/sense tu!"
Rating: 3/5


So, mad at me yet? Feel free to comment and tell me if I'm right or wrong. Next week I'll go through 11-15, with some potential winners among them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home