free web site hit counter

Sunday, May 16, 2010

200th post! Top 10!

Finally, my 200th post! And it's about my 6th through 10th favorite songs from this year's Eurovision. I love them all and would be happy if any of them won.

10. Moldova
Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira - “Run Away“
Reaction: This seems like it should be a mess -- violins in electro dance? -- but it works really well. The violin is more “Fight” than “Fairytale.” I wasn’t a fan of Ms. Tira in her previous attempts but in this song she sounds great. A little trashy, but a catchy and simple chorus.
Best Part: Bridge
Rating: 4/5

9. Sweden
Anna Bergendahl - “This is my life“
Reaction: Look, I can put Sweden outside my top 5 for once! The lyrics are nonsensical (“misty moon/you’re gonna see”?) and only vaguely about authenticity, but once the backup singers come in before the last chorus it becomes magical and you believe every word.
Best Part: Bridge to end
Rating: 4/5

8. Germany
Lena - “Satellite“
Reaction:I’m giving this my lucky 8th place seal of approval, considering its popularity in the charts, polls, and betting. It’s a fun little pop song of the sort one might expect from a cheery young female singer-songwriter, and works even though that’s not the case here. It would fit in place in a commercial for iPods or something else that gives you a little mainstream hipness. The lyrics have a spunkiness to them and Lena’s accent is adorable.
Best Part: “I bought new underwear light blue/and I wore it just the other day”
Rating: 4/5

7. Norway
Didrik - “My Heart Is Yours“
Reaction: I give up, I can’t resist Fredrik Kempe’s songs. This is one of the strongest ballads of the year, very Irish sounding in a way. The lyrics are a little creepy (“I watch you at night”) but that’s part of its appeal.
Best Part: Classic Kempe key change
Rating: 4/5

6. France
Jessy Matador - “Allez Ola Ole“
Reaction: This song sounds like a big summer hit, very different from anything else this year or in years past. In a sea of ballads it’s nice to have a big catchy party with a big catchy chorus that anyone can sing along to. Allez Ola Ole!
Best Part: Intro
Rating: 4/5

Almost there! Next week brings my top five!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home