free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Get out of my way or just stay

This week I'm entering the top 20 of my Eurovision 2009 rankings, which means the contest is just over three weeks away. It's getting harder to place them as we get closer to the contest because the quality is increasing.

20. United Kingdom
Jade Ewen - “It‘s My Time”
Reaction: As I said before, I didn’t really have expectations for this, but it exceeded them. Because of the songwriter, it is a typical pop theater diva ballad, and It’s more polished than some other ballads lower down my list. It fits well as a coronation song for the winner of a competition, so hopefully this will do well, or else the lyrics will be hilariously ironic.
Best Part: “I’ve been down, down so long, but those days are gone now”
Rating: 3/5

19. Montenegro
Andrea Demirovic – “Just Get Out of My Life”
Reaction: I still maintain that this song is the same as “Innocent Heart” from the Maltese selection this year, since they sound very similar in the chorus and have the same writers. Unlike the first song, this has more of an edge and is more fun than sweet.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

18. Ireland
Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - “Et cetera”
Reaction: This is a by-the-numbers pop punk song, with emphasis on the pop. It’s kind of reminiscent of Avril Lavigne’s poppier stuff (although that is always the comparison anyone makes with pop-punk with female vocals, isn’t it?). For a breakup song, it’s surprisingly upbeat and fun.
Best Part: “That's just the way my life goes/Still love me, even she knows/You say you're sorry, but you're not”
Rating: 3/5

17. Iceland
Yohanna - “Is it True”
Reaction: This starts off as a sweet pop ballad by a singer with a clear, youthful voice. As it progresses the backing strings multiply, until the end where it steps around the edges of being a power ballad. It doesn’t go there completely, but the songs with a remarkable amount of power without being overdramatic.
Best Part: Key change
Rating: 3/5

16. Croatia
Igor Cukrov feat. Andrea - “Lijepa Tena”
Reaction: There’s always at least one “Balkan ballad” each year, and this year’s is from Croatia. Like most of the others, it starts off quiet and ends louder and stronger. I like the combination of the male lead vocal and the female backing vocal.
Best Part: “Tenaaaaaaaaaaa” in the chorus
Rating: 3/5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the UK song. I hope it does well, and it could bring in a lot of votes (both televotes and jury votes) just because of Andrew Lloyd Weber. He could be the most famous person ever to appear on a Eurovision stage (he will certainly be the richest).

4/26/2009 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home