free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Eurosunday: Seven more...moving on

This week seven songs were revealed. This was a pretty good week, because there’s only one song that I don’t like.

Switzerland revealed their entry, “The Highest Heights”. It’s a modern rock entry. I want to say it sounds like Coldplay but that’s only because I’m uneducated on the subject of rock so I can’t make a very accurate comparison.

Hungary revealed their entry, “Dance With Me”, which is pretty fabulous disco. I don’t like it as much as Georgia’s song so far but it’s not bad at all. Hopefully this is the actual entry and they won’t change their minds like the last two times this year’s Hungarian entry was announced.

Croatia picked "Lijepa Tena", which is a typical Balkans-style ballad, but I like it.

Portugal chose "Todas as ruas do amor" which is cute and charming but hasn't grown on me yet.

Latvia picked "Sastregums", which will be performed as "Probka" in Moscow. I can’t really find anything to say about it now, as I don’t find it very interesting.

Spain picked "La noche es para mi", which wasn't my number one choice but it was still one of my favorites so I'm pleased.

Sweden held its final semifinal, and what a show it was. I can't say I hated any of the performance. I enjoyed Star Pilots' performance even if their song seems close to plagiarism. Agnes and Anna & Maria had fabulous performances as well. I was nervous during the "La voix" vs "Moving On" duel at the end. From the 1 minute clip I loved "Moving On", and I love the performance (Wind machine! Rising platform on key change! Winking at the camera!), but I'm still not sold on "La voix", which made me very disappointed when the results came in.

Bosnia revealed “Bistra voda”, which like Switzerland’s song sounds like some rock band I don’t listen to and thus can’t make a good comparison. On first listen the chorus is pretty stirring, so that’s a good sign.

Only 10 songs remain unchosen or unrevealed. Next week Israel, Estonia, Russia, Slovakia, Serbia, and Ukraine pick their songs, and Sweden has a second chance round, which I will probably cover prior to the event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home