free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not “Believe” Again, Unfortunately

It’s finally time for my 2009 Eurovision Song Contest song ranking. I’m sad that the national final season is over, but now I have the opportunity to listen to a group of songs over and over, write and re-write my rankings, analyze statistics, and do other related nerdy things. I’m using the same format as the past few years. In posting my bottom 2 out of 42, I assume that Georgia has indeed withdrawn (a shame since I really like their song), although it seems it won’t be certain until the draw tomorrow, so if the draw changes anything I will edit this into a bottom 3 out of 43.

42. Latvia
Intars Busulis - "Probka"
Reaction: This song is about being stuck in a traffic jam, and listening to it is almost as frustrating as being stuck in traffic. There may be some art to this that I’m missing, but on the surface it seems to be several different pieces of noise connected together in an annoying whole.
Best Part: The female vocal parts
Rating: 1/5

41. Denmark
Niels Brinck - "Believe Again"
Reaction: This song kind of occupies the spot Montenegro held for me the past two years. I end up calling it “old-man rock” even though neither Mr. Brink nor the previous two Montenegrin singers are very old. I just find that kind of light rock very boring and annoying. It’s inoffensive enough for it to not sound out of place on a loudspeaker in a department store, but also not attention-grabbing enough. I realize though that my opinion on this genre is unpopular, so it will probably do much better than I want it to.
Best Part: Last chorus (in the national final there was a wind machine, which seems hilariously unnecessary for a singer with short hair).
Rating: 1/5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought was the only one in the world who didn't like the Danish song. :)

4/26/2009 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home