free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shine get!

This week I'm finishing the bottom part of my ranking for ESC 2009. It's not such a bad lower fifth - so far there's nothing that attacks the audience's taste (although perhaps I have a habit of putting songs like that higher than I claim to in theory).

40. FYR Macedonia
Next Time - “Nesto sto ke octane“
Reaction: This shatters any thoughts I had about a personal bias towards FYR Macedonia, as I liked the past 4 Macedonian entries a lot more than the general fan population. However, this year’s entry is kind of boring - like hair metal but without the energy.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 1/5

39. Czech Republic
Gipsy.cz - “Aven Romale“
Reaction: I feel the same way about this song that I did about “Push the button” - a bunch of different connected parts that make the song seem fragmented and drag on too long, although this definitely has more energy. The chorus is memorable
Best Part: Shouting “Aven Romale!”
Rating: 1/5

38. Poland
Lidia Kopania - “I don‘t wanna leave“
Reaction: I think I read a comparison to “Everything” from 2006, but I don’t see any similarities. It’s an unmemorable ballad with nonsensical lyrics in the chorus, and I admit I haven’t made it through the entire song many times because it just doesn’t grab my attention.
Best Part: Key change
Rating: 1/5

37. Netherlands
De Toppers - “Shine“
Reaction: Is it possible for something to be too over-the-top for me to enjoy? This song has shown me my limit, because the lyrics are too sugary and silly for me to stomach. The song is about love, light, and song curing the world of war and suffering, or something like that, and makes me want to find hidden violent themes in other schlager songs. Also, the shout of “Shiiiiiine” at the beginning of each chorus is too silly for me to like.
Best Part: “Love will make you glow in the dark” If only!
Rating: 1/5

36. Slovakia
Kamil Mikulčík & Nela Pocisková - “Leť tmou”
Reaction: This is a beautiful orchestral ballad, and the singers have impressive voices, but the song itself is just not memorable. The chorus starts and doesn’t really go anywhere. There’s nothing unpleasant about listening this song, but nothing exceptionally interesting either.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 2/5

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shine gets my award this year for the most stereotypical Eurovision song - an insipid melody with feel good lyrics. It reminds me of "If We All Give a Little" in that way. This is the kind of song that Eurovision detractors point to as a way of justifying their dislike.

4/26/2009 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Dominic said...

I suppose one and all should browse on it.
here

12/12/2011 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home