free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Oh My God: It Never Ends

This is going to be my last national finals coverage post as I won’t be able to post next week and soon after it'll be time to start the rankings.

Cyprus and Greece both presented songs that sound similar on paper (male vocals, ethnic sound, sung in Greek) that couldn’t be more different in reality. I prefer Cyprus’ as it’s more consistent throughout the song, but the Greek song definitely takes some risks.
The Belarusian song is fabulous in so many ways and could be another “Love Me Tonight,” but there’s some controversy over if it was performed before the cutoff date, so we won’t know if that will be the actual song performed this May.
Slovakia presented their song “I’m Still Alive,” yet another ballad. It’s very professional sounding but some of the other ballads have better hooks.
Armenia, Croatia, and Portugal all chose their songs on Saturday and all were underwhelming on first listen.
Sweden had their second chance round and chose the lesser of the two "Oh My God"s.
Early on Sunday the Russian song leaked in a live version and if this is indeed the song for the contest then it's already high in my rankings. I already liked the singer's "New Russian Kalinka" and of course RedOne constantly puts out good songs.
There are about seven songs left to be chosen and presented, so let's hope they're good ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home