free web site hit counter

Thursday, May 27, 2010

2010 Semifinal 2 Predictions

I didn't get a chance to type up a reaction to the first semifinal on Tuesday since I had to hop on a train right after the show, but I wasn't surprised at the results, except for Portugal. I got 7/10 qualifiers right, which is pretty good but shows that my method of making the predictions wasn't very good.

Here are my predictions for the 2nd semifinal of Eurovision 2010:

ARMENIA
AZERBAIJAN
CROATIA
DENMARK
GEORGIA
ISRAEL
ROMANIA
SWEDEN
TURKEY
UKRAINE

I had IRELAND in there before, and I'll be crossing my fingers for them to qualify (especially if they replace Denmark, Georgia, or Ukraine), but after the math it was between them and Ukraine and Ukraine simply has more (neighbors) going for them. This is a case where I'd love to be wrong.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to make my predictions now, since I might not have time later.

First of all, I have to say that I have only correctly picked the winner one time (last year - that was a real toughie :) ), so that might give those who disagree with me hope. In my defense, though, I will say that twice I have picked as winners songs that beat the eventual winner in a/the semi-final, only to go on to lose the eventual winner in the final.

In a year where there are no dominant songs, it makes the most sense to me to go with the proven vote getters (the ones with large diaspora) - they will ALWAYS deliver the votes, while ordinary fans split theirs. There are only a couple of songs that really seem certain to pull in points from everywhere, and one of those has had millions of Euros spent on its behalf for promotion, so I am picking Azerbaijan as the winner this year.

A few other thoughts:

1. Watch the money. Just as people betting on elections are more accurate at predicting their outcomes than pollsters, Azerbaijan remains the betting favorite.

2. What's to stop Azerbaijan from blowing another million Euros on sim cards given to their sycophants to boost their totals?

3. I absolutely can't stand the entry (the song itself is not so bad, but I am specifically referring to the choreography, performer, and promotion), so picking them as the winner will provide a small consolation if in fact they do win (though I do hope I am wrong).

As for the rest,

What I WANT:
01 Belgium
02 Romania
03 Germany
04 Denmark
05 Portugal
06 Serbia
07 France
08 Albania
09 Russia
10 Moldova
11 Turkey
12 Georgia
13 Ukraine
14 Armenia
15 Ireland
16 Belarus
17 Norway
18 Cyprus
19 Bosnia and Herzegovina
20 United Kingdom
21 Spain
22 Israel
23 Greece
24 Iceland
25 Azerbaijan

What I EXPECT:
01 Azerbaijan
02 Armenia
03 Turkey
04 Greece
05 Belgium
06 Denmark
07 Germany
08 Serbia
09 Romania
10 Georgia
11 Ukraine
12 Portugal
13 Russia
14 Ireland
15 Spain
16 Cyprus
17 Israel
18 Albania
19 Norway
20 Bosnia and Herzegovina
21 Moldova
22 France
23 Iceland
24 Belarus
25 United Kingdom

5/29/2010 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home