free web site hit counter

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Let the music make you raise your hand

Rehearsals have already started in Moscow and it’s time for my top ten. I really like my whole top twenty very much, so the difference in preference between these songs and the top 5 are very minute. As of this writing only one of them has had a rehearsal, but I hope that all of these are successful on stage and do very well in their semifinals and ultimately the final.

10. Greece
Sakis Rouvas - “This Is Our Night“
Reaction: I’m not sure electronic dance music is Sakis’s strength, but the writers of this song did a good job making up for any weakness. The chorus is very catchy and the backing vocals and instrumental are strong and well chosen.
Best Part: The beeping alarm sound before the first chorus during “When I look into your eyes/It comes as no surprise”
Rating: 4/5

9. Israel
Noa & Mira Awad - “There Must Be Another Way“
Reaction: I know this is blatant political propaganda - Hebrew and Arabic lyrics about wanting peace and finding another way - but I still love it anyway. I will forgive political lyrics in this venue if the music is appealing enough(see: what would have been Georgia 2009), and this one is. This is probably the only song this year whose verses I vastly prefer to the chorus. Although I usually prefer loud instrumentals, I love the simplicity of this song, with two clear beautiful voices in harmony and soft guitars.
Best Part: Bridge
Rating: 4/5

8. Norway
Alexander Rybak - “Fairytale”
Reaction: Last year’s overwhelming betting favorite (and in that case, actual winner) was in this spot too. However, I do not have an irrational fannish devotion to Mr. Rybak like I did and do for Mr. Bilan. I find his voice strange and nasal, but that just might be part of the appeal. The prominent strings are also very strange sounding. The song has a sort of haunting madness to it. The instrumental and lyrics combine to give the feeling of obsessive yet unrequited love.
Best Part: Violin solos
Rating: 4/5

7. Armenia
Inga & Anush - “Jan jan“
Reaction: This is a fun mix of ethnic and modern music, but unlike others that fall under that description this year it sounds more like folk than dance pop. I like the combination of the two female sisters’ voices, as well as the combination of English and Armenian.
Best Part: “We aren’t free/fixed like a tree/to the holy ground/with my sound”
Rating: 4/5

6. Bosnia & Herzegovina
Regina - “Bistra Voda”
Reaction: I never really thought of myself as biased towards Bosnia & Herzegovina’s songs, but considering they’ve ended up in this ranking range three of the past four years (and Deen and Feminnem were favorites of mine the two years I started this ranking) I may have a bias towards giving high marks to their songs. I should probably rename the number between five and seven “Bosnia & Herzegovina.” On the other hand, maybe they are just very good at producing songs that I like. This song mixes Balkan strings with militaristic drums. The lead singer also sings very passionately but not too excessively.
Best Part: Last chorus
Rating: 4/5

Next week is the top five. It may be a bit of déjà vu for some readers as three of them have been in my top five before. Even though you can guess which songs they are by now, I hope you’ll come back next week to see the final order and my rankings. Here’s a hint to keep you interested: three of them were instant favorites as soon as they were chosen, and the other two weren’t but grew on me very quickly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

10. Not a big Sakis fan (don't hate the song, but it just seems overrated).

09. I can't get over the political propoganda. It just leaves me cold.

08. My favorite. I read that Rybak was really sick (could barely get out of bed) during the MGP final. Let's see what he sounds like in Moscow.

07. Don't like it as much as past Armenian songs, but they have done it again. A sure top ten finisher, even with the juries.

06. I don't know how Bosnia and Herzegovina end up sending such good songs each year in completely different styles. I have liked all of their recent entries (except 2007), and have this among my favorites this year, as well.

I am afraid I won't see the order in which you put Azerbaijan, Finland, Romania, Sweden, and Ukraine. For the first time ever, I am going to the show, and I leave on Saturday for Moscow. :)

Some comments on the remaining songs:

Azerbaijan: Seems a bit overrated as a song, but (especially with the addition of the choreographers that helped Ukraine win in 2004) another sure top ten finisher (and could challenge for the win).

Finland: I just don't get this song. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Romania: Pure trash (I don't dislike it, though), but it makes a good first impression, and should do well.

Sweden: I don't mind the song at all (except for the really low part), but the singer annoys the hell out of me (mostly the head movements and the facial expressions).

Ukraine: I thought this (when selected) was one of the weakest songs, but it has grown a lot on me (and Ukraine always seems to get the most out of their songs, whatever they send). They have a real circus act planned in Moscow, (Svetlana just took out another mortgage on her home to help pay for it), and this looks like yet another lock for the top ten.

Good luck to your favorites, and enjoy the show.

5/04/2009 1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home