free web site hit counter

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Semifinal 2 Reaction

Oh! My! God!
This evening when the qualifiers were announced is the tensest this contest has made me this year, and what a thrilling end to the show! My predictions were only 70% correct, instead of what I thought were almost certain qualifiers Belarus, Bulgaria, and FYR Macedonia, we got Albania, Denmark, and Iceland! I think the internet is in shock, and I'm sure a lot of people have lost money on bets.

Other points of interest
- Georgia's dancing nurse postcard
- Lys Assia being a diva "Usually I get a standing ovation"

In my opinion this will be a great final. 16 finalists (including 3 automatic finalists) are in my top 25, and the ones that aren't have grown on me a bit, with the exception of the UK and Denmark's songs. I'll write more before the grand final on my predictions for its result.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only got an embarassing six out of ten. :( For my last spot, I debated between Albania, Belarus, and Latvia, and (of course) chose the only one that didn't make it.

I never did get the appeal of Bulgaria (that happened last year too, though, and they finished in the top five), but everyone else seemed to think it would make it easily, so I had it on my list.

The results definitely shocked me (FOUR western countries). I can't wait until Saturday just to see where the semifinal votes came from. :)

I always thought this year seemed very strong (people say "oh what a weak year" EVERY year), and I expect a good show on Saturday.

Not an easy one to predict, though. The last four years (with a semi-final) one could just pick the ten qualifying semi-finalists as the top ten and get about seven right every year. I think we will see some low scores in the prediciton department again on Saturday.

5/22/2008 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home