free web site hit counter

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Eurosunday: These songs are so divine

Finally it's time for the final Eurosunday ranking. I'm a little sad as I wish I could have spent more time and effort on this year's preselection reviews and rankings, but due to unfortunate school and family circumstances I was unable to. However, I'm also happy that this year's Eurovision season is coming to a close and by Thursday night we'll know the lineup of the final, and by Saturday night we'll have a winner. These are my top five songs and I can genuinely say that they're my absolute favorites of this year's group of songs.

5. Ukraine
Ani Lorak – Shady Lady
Reaction: This song exudes confidence, and it’s cliché to say this, but it’s fierce. It has a big fabulous catchy disco chorus. By the end Ani seems to claim control over the listener.
Best Part: ”I am a brand new star that you've never knoooooooooooown”
Rating: 5/5

4. France
Sebastien Tellier - Divine
Reaction: I was a little surprised to like this, as it’s very minimalist, and I think this is the first time I find low-fi to be charming. The singing is restrained but the melody is surprisingly catchy. The combination of the computerized doo-wop backing vocals and the French electro feel make this song sound both old-fashioned and modern, and completely charming and fun.
Best Part: Intro
Rating: 5/5

3. Slovenia
Rebeka Dremelj – Vrag naj vzame
Reaction: I loved the original version, which was more electro, but I love the newer version with more guitars too. It’s fun and catchy, but also has a hint of anger that is appealing.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 5/5

2. Iceland
Euroband – This is my life
Reaction: This was my favorite song in the Icelandic selection, but after it was translated into English I loved it more. This is like Romania 2006, an anthemic dance song with a memorable sing-along chorus. It has a positive message without getting saccharine, and the male and female vocals work well together.
Best Part: End of the bridge: “I have the power to change my waa-aa-aays! O-o-o-oh! This is my lii-ii-iife!”
Rating: 5/5

1. Sweden
Charlotte Perrelli – Hero
Reaction: Though it was the last song selected, I have listened to this song the most and it’s at the top of my list. It may have been soullessly engineered to be extremely catchy, with each little piece put together to sound perfect, but of course I can look past lack of integrity if the song appeals to me enough. And this song is wonderfully, impossibly catchy, with each little piece sounding great, especially the chorus, which seems to pop into my head even as I recall other songs. It’s a 3 minute piece of Swedish pop heaven.
Best Part: Key change
Rating: 5/5

Thank you for reading this year's rankings. This week I'll have comments before (predictions) and after (reactions) each live show.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts:

Ukraine - not one of my favorites, but close. The last (as we go up your list) potential winner. She finally gets her chance at Eurovision after getting cheated out of the win in the 2005 Ukranian preselection. A great performer with a good song (and the right geographical location) means a guaranteed top five finisher.

France - way down my list (more that I found it boring than I dislike it). This could provide some amusement, as he plans to start the song by driving on stage in a golf cart. I actually hope it does well, because that actually might encourage France to send more English language songs in the future. :)

Slovenia - another near favorite. It doesn't hurt to have a beauty queen (a former Miss Slovenia) as a performer, but this has received very poor reports from the rehearsals, and has fallen to 300-1 to win (and 10-1 against even making the top ten in the final).

Iceland - the most overrated and overhyped piece of garbage this year (that puts it near the bottom of my list, in case you couldn't tell :) ). This will not get any points from the east (like Sweden last year), and will crash and burn (like Sweden last year).

Sweden - another near favorite, although I consider it slightly overrated, as well (Sweden almost always seems overrated to me). Though a solid song, and a huge improvement over last year's effort, I can't see it doing much better than Sweden did in 2003, 2004, and 2006 (middle of the top ten). This could end up as the only western song in the top ten Saturday night.

5/19/2008 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you don't get a post up in time for me to respond before the contest:

The chances of qualifying (computed from betting odds):

01 95.7 Russia
02 91.4 Armenia
03 88.5 Greece
04 79.2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
04 79.2 Romania
06 59.6 Norway
07 58.5 Azerbaijan
08 58.2 Ireland
09 53.9 Slovenia
10 46.1 Poland
11 40.4 Finland
12 34.4 Israel
12 34.4 Belgium
12 34.4 Andorra
15 32.5 Moldova
16 29.2 Netherlands
17 26.5 Estonia
17 26.5 San Marino
19 24.3 Montenegro

Norway looks like the only country to have a good chance of qualifying via the telvote (maybe Belgium could, as well). I don't want to try to predict the jury vote, but I think the east will shut out the west and suck up all nine qualifying spots. My prediction:

Russia
Greece
Armenia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Romania
Slovenia
Israel
Poland
Azerbaijan

Norway
Belgium
Finland
Netherlands
Ireland
Montenegro
Andorra
San Marino
Moldova
Estonia

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the process this year. Enjoy the shows.

5/20/2008 6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home