free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Eurosunday: A Century of Snoozing

This Sunday marks the start of the third year of Eurosunday rankings, in which I rank the songs in this year’s Eurovision according to my preference, five at a time, as I’ve done the past two years. However, this year I’ll try to break the tedium by adding more in-depth analysis of each song during the week, as well as to make up for the fact that I didn’t post much about the preselections this year.

Today I’m listing my three least favorite songs. The past two years, songs that deeply annoyed and/or offended me took the coveted bottom spot. This year, more songs are dull and unmemorable rather than offensively bad, and you’ll see that some of the gimmick songs place higher than I should put them just because they’re mildy amusing and not sleep-inducing. Therefore, this year’s bottom 3 are, to my ears, unmemorable and boring.

43. Estonia
Kreisiradio – “Leto Svet”
Reaction: This song has so much going against it. It’s a gimmick song, and a dull one at that. I find the other gimmick songs in this year’s contest, while in poor taste, at least a little more amusing than this one. The melody is boring, and the lyrics don’t succeed in being funny. Also, it tries to pander for votes by singing in three different languages.
Best part: Instrumental break in the middle
Rating: 1/5

42. Montenegro
Stefan Filipovic – “Zauvijek volim te”
Reaction: This is more of the same as last year – old-man rock sung by a seemingly young man, without an interesting melody.
Best part: Intro, which sounds a little like “Get a life, get alive” which was slightly better
Rating: 1/5

41. Moldova
Geta Burlacu – “A Century of Love”
Reaction: This is reminiscent of last year’s song from Lithuania. Both would not be out of place as background music in a coffee shop, and both are soft and quiet and make you want to fall asleep.
Best part: Chorus
Rating: 1/5

In the coming day's I'll try to have more in-depth analysis (nothing serious), and next Sunday I'll list songs 36-40.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just caught up with the last ten months of your blog. :)

Every year brings complaints about the quality of the songs, but this year seems much stronger than last year to me. I did a comparison of each country's song with its entry last year, and preferred this year's entry in most cases.

I agree with you about Estonia. Another group of comedians (and the host of the local version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire") get selected because of their popularity.

I actually like the Montenegrin entry this year (I would rate it above average). I had last year's entry at the bottom of my list, but this song seems somewhat catchy to me.

Moldova does seem pretty boring, but I would put a couple of other dire songs (Croatia, Portugal) lower.

4/05/2008 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Baldwin said...

I saw so much helpful info here!
here

12/20/2011 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home