free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Erano stupende

Welcome to this week's Eurosunday, in which I will count down my top 21-25 songs. This week was especially hard to write because over time I've been revising my rankings and it's been very hard to decide which songs will be in my top 20. Despite all the internet worry over this year being weaker, after repeated listenings to all the songs it seems that this year's group of songs is actually much stronger than it seemed just a month or two ago.

25. Georgia
Diana Gurtskaya - Peace will come
Reaction: I remember Diana from Belarus' preselection last year, with her song "How Long" that I wasn't very fond of (luckily "Work Your Magic" won instead). This song is thankfully much better than her previous try. This one is a rock song with a good melody and positive message
Best part: Bridge
Rating: 3/5

24. Finland
Teraesbetoni - Missae miehet ratsastaa
Reaction: My criteria nowadays for a good rock song is, would it be fun to play in Rock Band? This one definitely passes that test. I guess Finland has found that metal is its "thing" for Eurovision, since their last metal song won it. With lots of guitars and "hoo! hah!" grunting, this is one of the more macho songs in the contest's history.
Best Part: Key change and ending
Rating: 3/5

23. Belgium
Ishtar - O Julissi
Reaction: This song is charming and even a bit magical. It sounds like something you'd hear while skipping through a forest with magical friendly woodland creatures around you, or while playing the Sims (since it is in a fictional language, it wouldn't be out of place on the game's radio stations). The song's ending, with key changes, sounds like the performers are having fun.
Best Part: Ending
Rating: 3/5

22. Netherlands
Hind - Your heart belongs to me
Reaction: This song has a fun bouncy feel with a good drum beat and Middle Eastern-sounding strings. Even though the song's subject matter is less than sunny (getting over a bad relationship), the music makes you want to dance.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

21. Switzerland
Paolo Meneguzzi - Era Stupendo
Reaction: I admit that the hype has affected me on this one. Along with Norway, I like it and acknowledge that it's a very good song, but it doesn't move me the way it has for others. That said,
Best part: Final choruses
Rating: 3/5


Next week I'll reveal the bottom part of my top 20!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reasonable middle of the pack choices. I like Georgia a little more, Finland a little less (though it does stick in my mind), and Belgium quite a bit more. Belgium does stand out to me, so I hope it does well.

I would put the Netherlands a bit higher, too, though it doesn't have anything to really get people to vote for it. I find Switzerland rather boring, but I do see the appeal. I have trouble recognizing when very slow songs (Norway 2003, Cyprus 2004, Malta 2005) will do well. All three of those surprised me.

4/22/2008 1:24 AM  
Anonymous Reginald said...

It can't work as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.
link

12/12/2011 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home