free web site hit counter

Sunday, April 27, 2008

DJ (and Singers) Take Me Away

Welcome to another Eurosunday. This week I enter my top 20. Even though these songs are around the middle of my list, they are still all very good. This year’s competing songs keep appearing stronger and stronger, as there has been a lot of movement in my top 20 over the past weeks as final versions get released.

20. Azerbaijan
Elnur Huseynov & Samir Javadzadeh - Day After Day
Reaction: I get the feeling this may be an unpopular choice, as a lot of people online seem to have this at the bottom of their personal rankings. I like the angel/devil theme and the battle between two sides that comes across in the vocals (although I can’t tell what they’re saying, although I know it’s in English). It’s theatrical and over the top in a way that you can‘t tell if they‘re being serious or not, which I can always count on to catch my attention.
Best Part: “Daaaaaay after daaaaay” in the chorus
Rating: 3/5

19. Bulgaria
Deep Zone & Balthazar - DJ Take me away
Reaction: This dance songs is all over the place, starting out with scratching, moving to reggae, and then a combination of the two. The vocal chorus is simple but catchy. This song would sound perfect on a club dance floor.
Best Part: Instrumental chorus about 2 minutes in
Rating: 3/5

18. Albania
Olta Boka - Zemren e lame peng
Reaction: This song starts out with acoustic guitar strumming and by the chorus adds electric instruments, becoming a power ballad. As the song continues, it goes back and forth between the softer verses and the more intense and catchy chorus. The singer has a lovely youthful voice.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

17. Poland
Isis Gee - For Life
Reaction: This song should be a staple of any party DJ’s wedding selection. The last wedding song in Eurovision, “Tomorrow I Go” from Albania in 2005, although it was one of my favorites from that year, doesn’t have the wedding accessibility as “For life” does. This song is the story of a couple’s love, resulting in their wedding. Usually wedding songs get too sappy and boring for me, but this one has a memorable chorus. It’s also very American-sounding, no doubt due to the homeland of the singer.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

16. Germany
No Angels - Disappear
Reaction: I was originally more APPREHENSIVE to this song when it was selected, because I really wanted Cinema Bizarre to win the German ticket. However, after I gave this song a chance I found that it was actually very good. This is a modern-sounding girl group pop ballad, in the vein of maybe Girls Aloud’s “Call The Shots”. A good feat by a girl group that has been around since 200.
Best Part: Chorus
Rating: 3/5

Next week I'll have my top 11-15.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a huge fan of any of these.

If you want the lyrics for the entry from Azerbaijan, see here:

http://diggiloo.net/?2008az

Not awful, but it definitely wins my award for "song I would most like to hear recorded by someone else" (meaning there is a good song in there, but the performance ruins it - think Belarus 2004).

Bulgaria seems like one of the most overrated songs of the year. I just don't get the attraction at all.

Albania just doesn't leave an impression on me one way or the other. I have listened to every song at least twenty times, and I still can't come up with the tune in my head for this one.

Poland bores me, and I can't really explain why. It seems like a decent song, but leaves me cold. Maybe a mix with more emphasis on the vocals would help. One of the two Americans in the contest this year (that I know of).

Germany definitely ranks as my favorite of this group of five. I have a feeling it won't do well, though.

4/28/2008 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home