free web site hit counter

Monday, October 30, 2006

100 Greatest? Really?

This week VH1 is showing one of those countdown nostalgia series that they love to do, called "100 Greatest Songs of the '80s". I am sure I will agree with them on some songs and disagree with them on others. I've decided to rate the songs and their rankings in the style that I ranked the Eurovision songs this past spring. And since I have spent more time in the '80s (a little over a year) than in Europe (a little over a month), I am probably more qualified to rate this program, and you can take my critique more seriously. While I certainly never heard any of these songs on their first run on radio/TV, I say that it makes me unbiased and an accurate judge of how a song has stood the test of time, and I'm probably familiar with them all anyway through - surprise, surprise - VH1 and their countdowns. Of course, none of this "qualified" and "unbiased" stuff applies when discussing metal. I am of the opinion that it just sucks*

If Stereogum is right about the Top 5, it is a sad day when the greatest piece of music from a span of ten years is by Bon Jovi.

* - Except Lordi, because they're awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home