free web site hit counter

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Return of the Eurosunday!

It's past time for another season of Eurovision discussion! Blame ongoing computer issues.

This year I decided to do my selection season coverage a little differently. Typically I've discussed Eurovision entries as they were revealed, but that material is revisited when I do my ranking once the entries are final (which of course I will be doing this year).
Instead, I will highlight one song from each national selection show that failed to make it. When applicable, I'll still give my comments on what I'd like to see from the week's upcoming finals.

There haven't been any finals in the first two weeks of January, but there were a few in December, so here's a late run-down of some of the first 2013 also-rans.

The first national final was in Belarus a really long time ago. My favorite might be "Letter to Mother" by Yankey. What can I say, I like the overdramatic.


Presented without commentary, from Switzerland, "Do the Monkey" by Anthony Bighead.


Lithuania failed to send Gerai Gerai and Miss Sheep with "War in the Wardrobe" to Eurovision. It's a cute electro pop song that might have otherwise felt in place in another of the Baltic national finals.


Albania's national final had a song from their 2009 representative Kejsi Tola. Though I don't like it as much as her song from four years ago, she performs this rock ballad well.


The most notable song from Ukraine was "Medlyak" by DiO Filmy. Their aesthetic is kind of grown-up Jedward.


Next week sees the first elimination round in Finland and the first semifinal in Norway. This week will also see the semifinal allocation draw, giving fans an opportunity to start the discussion on who is bribing their way to a good draw and who is without a hope before the start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home