free web site hit counter

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Semifinal 2 Reactions and Final Predictions?

I got 7 out of 10 qualifiers, not too bad. Croatia and Slovakia were just guesses and I probably shouldn't have expected them to qualify. It shows that YouTube views and being the sole representative of a genre can only get a song so far. Slovenia, on the other hand, I was very disappointed to see not qualify as this always seems to happen every time I really like the Slovenian entry (see 2006 and 2008). Of the qualifiers I didn't get, Bosnia & Herzegovina and FYR Macedonia were pleasant surprises, but Malta still puzzles me.

It must be time for some predictions for the final. It's hard to say who will win. The betting favorite and OGAE vote favorite is Sweden, but they're spotty as to actually predicting the winner. It's also my favorite too, which is a terrible predictor of the real winner. However, it is more popular than the other songs in the contest on iTunes in several countries, and it's currently #14 on Spotify (though it only seems to be available there in Scandinavia).

Russia has the most YouTube views on the official channel by far, followed by Turkey and Cyprus. The past two winners were the songs with the most views on the official channel, so that's a good omen for Russia.

It's hard to predict the top 10 in a field of 26. It would seem easy to just pick songs that are in the second half but last year, six of the top ten were in the first half of the show. However, in 2010 only three of the top ten were in the first half. I could make a case for 20 of the songs appearing in the top 10

Here is my prediction for the top 10 of this year's Eurovision final.

ALBANIA
AZERBAIJAN
GREECE
IRELAND
ITALY
RUSSIA
SERBIA
SWEDEN
TURKEY
UKRAINE

I put Albania in the place of "whatever ballad the juries like more" which I guess could be Estonia or even United Kingdom. Greece's spot in the top 10 is practically reserved at this point, as is Azerbaijan's, and they won't let hosting the show stop them from putting in a professional and successful three minutes of their own. Last year Ireland appealed to both juries and home voters and that should also probably stay the same. Italy is looking good and has a lot of hype behind it, and last year juries seemed eager to please Italy. Russia needs no explanation, and it will be surprising if it doesn't come top 5 in the televote. Serbia will be the ex-Yugoslavian representative in the top 10 due to the quality of the song, the popularity of the performer, and the draw (although I wouldn't complain if FYR Macedonia took its place). Sweden is because of the hype and the performance. Turkey is because of the social media popularity and that teenage girls who aren't into Jedward need some cute guy to text for. Ukraine has an amazing performance, and they also have an impressive record of coming in the top 10.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had time to write up a bit about each song, but I don't. First, I am following three simple rules:

1. Never bet against Ukraine making the top ten.
2. Never bet against Greece making the top ten.
3. Never bet against Turkey making the top ten.

I could probably add Azerbaijan to that list despite their short history.

This should be the last time I have to listen to that excrement from Albania (given that it will completely disappear after the show).

I detest the Russian song, but know it will do well. Obviously, I hope it doesn't win, but Eurovision will survive, even if it does. The last time Russia won, its victory was so outrageous that the EBU changed the rules. Maybe that will happen again this year.

I actually don't dislike the Swedish song itself that much, but I absolutely hate Christer Bjorkman and what he is trying to do to Eurovision (bigger productions with more people on stage and the use of recorded vocals). He is on the EBU Reference Group, and a win by Sweden would give him even more power. That is reason enough for any fan to root against Sweden.

There is plenty of irrationality in the reactions one has to the songs. Greece 2005 has been at the very bottom of my all time list since that year (and I disparage it every chance I get), but Greece 2008 was my favorite that year, and this year's entry is one of my favorites, as well. You might say that that doesn't make any sense, since those songs are quite similar (and I won't argue with you about that :) ), but that is just the way it is.

Last year, I made three predictions:

1. Azerbaijan would win (check).
2. Estonia would finish last (they finished next last).
3. Sognu (the favorite) would not do as well as "Allez Ola Ole" (the French entry from the previous year). CHECK!

I doubt I can do nearly as well this year.

I think politics (feelings about what is going on in Germany and Greece affecting votes, for example) could play a bigger role than usual this year, but that is just one more thing that the prognosticator has to overcome. :)

*DESIRED* outcome:
01 Romania
02 Greece
03 Iceland
04 Serbia
05 Cyprus
06 Bosnia and Herzegovina
07 Germany
08 Italy
09 Azerbaijan
10 Spain
11 Lithuania
12 Moldova
13 Ireland
14 Macedonia
15 Malta
16 France
17 Estonia
18 Denmark
19 Turkey
20 Norway
21 United Kingdom
22 Hungary
23 Ukraine
24 Albania
25 Russia
26 Sweden

*PREDICTED* outcome:
01 Serbia
02 Italy
03 Russia
04 Sweden
05 Ukraine
06 Germany
07 Azerbaijan
08 Spain
09 Turkey
10 Greece
11 Romania
12 Iceland
13 Moldova
14 Macedonia
15 Ireland
16 Bosnia and Herzegovina
17 Estonia
18 Cyprus
19 Malta
20 Denmark
21 Norway
22 United Kingdom
23 Albania
24 France
25 Lithuania
26 Hungary

5/26/2012 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home