free web site hit counter

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Happy New Year, New Songs 2012!

Is it time for EuroSunday again? Actually, it’s probably a little late.

There’s been a couple of singer selection shows to pick Eurovision performers but as always, since these shows don’t pick the songs, I won’t cover them.

Two entries have already been chosen. “Unbreakable” from Switzerland is a fine rock song. I’m not sure if it’s got enough in it to make it to the final yet, but the field is still open, and it’s a little more appealing than their “The Highest Heights” from 2009.

Albania chose “Suus,” a ballad that doesn’t seem like it goes anywhere with a lot of screaming. However, when listening to it I felt like it might be giving me a similar reaction to Ukraine’s 2010 and 2011 songs, which didn’t appeal to me at first but ended up being very good and successful by their final staged versions. The singer sure does have a powerful voice.

A few other countries have narrowed down their songs in televised semifinals. A few weeks ago, Belarus held a semifinal from which five songs qualified. I only like “We are the heroes” by Litesound, whose previous attempts I’ve also enjoyed. Latvia had their first semifinal and chose five songs to qualify, of which I only like “My World,” which is cute and has some potential.

Next week brings semifinals from Iceland and Latvia (there’s probably others too). Here’s to a good Eurovision 2012!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home