free web site hit counter

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Reactions and Predictions, Semifinal Style

What a shocking first semifinal! Poor Norway, their song was wonderful but didn't qualify, I wonder if it came close. And poor Turkey for not qualifying even though they were the runner-up last year.
I only got six out of ten qualifiers right, my worst in years. Congratulations to all the qualifiers, including those I didn't believe in earlier: Hungary, Lithuania, Serbia, and Switzerland.

I might as well post my predictions for the second semifinal now:

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
DENMARK
ESTONIA
IRELAND
ISRAEL
LATVIA
ROMANIA
SLOVENIA
SWEDEN
UKRAINE

Before tonight I would have put Moldova in there but after tonight's results I don't think that's what juries would go for, and telephone voters wouldn't be enough to push it over the top. Instead I put Slovenia, which could be replaced with either of the other female-sang ballads, Austria and Slovakia, but Slovenia's inclusion instead of those is just wishful thinking. Good luck to everyone on Thursday!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year, I didn't have the chance to follow the selections, and actually had not heard any of the songs until less than a week ago. I hope that gives me some advantages. :)

The songs that stood out by a mile for me on first listen were Azerbaijan and Russia, followed by (let's say they stood out on second listen), Denmark and the United Kingdom. Next (definitely above the rest) were Ireland and Spain.

I just don't get the expectation that France will do that well. This looks like Israel in 2010 (a fantastic song and singer just not right for Eurovision). Israel last year became the first country ever to win more than one of the Bezencon awards in a single year (it swept all three of them). That, combined with a fantastic draw, produced a fourteenth place. I doubt younger televoters will favor France at all, and I am not so sure it will get that many points from the juries, either. Don't the jury instructions include (in the criteria for evaluation) an estimation of the potential for the song to become a commercial success ("hit")? That is not France at all. This entry might not even do as well as the song from France last year.

I believe that if it were still one hundred percent televoting, Russia would win with ease (look at the piece of dreck they finished third with in 2007). This is easily their best entry since 2000.

I hate the Finnish song, but the audience reactions have been amazing, so it will do well. Glad it has a tough draw.

I don't get Estonia at all. This has always seemed like one of the weakest songs in the show to me.

My predictions:

01 Azerbaijan
02 Russia
03 Ireland
04 Finland
05 United Kingdom
06 Germany
07 Austria
08 Spain
09 Denmark
10 France
11 Moldova
12 Serbia
13 Iceland
14 Bosnia and Herzegovina
15 Italy
16 Greece
17 Sweden
18 Ukraine
19 Slovenia
20 Georgia
21 Hungary
22 Switzerland
23 Lithuania
24 Romania
25 Estonia

5/14/2011 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Hugo said...

What namely you are writing is a horrible mistake.
hotel colorado springs | hair salon games | dentist in north vancouver | bachelor of science | state street hotel santa barbara

11/01/2011 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Perceval said...

This can't work in reality, that is exactly what I suppose.
leopard pumps | map New Mexico | Pittsburgh attractions

2/28/2012 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Thomas said...

Goodness, there is really much useful material here!
free online games

3/05/2012 1:25 PM  
Blogger Tom Hanks said...

Play now: 3d games car
Play now: action games for pc

4/27/2018 4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home