free web site hit counter

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mother Has Arrived

This year's Eurovision lineup is finally complete, and so it is time for this blog's annual ranking. My bottom 7 are as follows:


37. Belgium
Axel Hirsoux - “Mother”
Reaction: This is not only weak and boring, but also really creepy. This is one of the most co-dependent “I love you Mom” song I have heard. There's a line between “Thanks for supporting me” and “you're more than a soul mate” and this crosses it.
Best Part: “I'm weak, you're bright”
Rating: 1/5

36. Finland
Softengine - “Something Better”
 Reaction: This was so forgettable that I forgot the winner of the Finnish final twice. It's not terrible, but it's so anonymous that it's a non-entity. It shuffles along as okay background music for a car trip but it's not interesting enough to hold attention of sight and sound for three minutes.
Best Part: “All these words/Before she passed away” this got dark for a moment
Rating: 1/5

35. Denmark
Basim - “Cliche Love Song”
Reaction: After two years of magic, Denmark went back to sending their upbeat middle-of-the-road typical style. It's Bruno Mars meets that Eurovision tradition of nonsense words. It's a little more creative than its title implies, yet not original enough for it to be ironic.
Best Part: “I know from the pizza guy/That you're a special girl”
Rating: 1/5

34. Georgia
The Shin & Mariko - “Three Minutes to Earth”
Reaction: I appreciate that they're doing something different, and every Eurovision needs a weird song by musicians who are being really serious, but this is just unlistenable. This is a jam session, not a song.
Best Part: “Show us the stairways to come back to Earth/Skydivers/Space jump”
Rating: 1/5

33. Malta
Firelight - “Coming Home”
Reaction: Last year they did “Hey Soul Sister” and this year they're doing “I Will Wait,” apparently. This is less annoying than last year's but it's also less memorable. I can't believe I'm saying this – I would rather listen to “Tomorrow” twice than this once.
Best Part: “Electrify my bones”
Rating: 1/5

32. Armenia
Aram MP3 - “Not Alone”
Reaction: This is easily the most overrated song of the year. It's a lot of production and not a lot of song. Half the song is quiet buildup, and the other half drops the beat and repeats the lyrics. Neither half has a winning impact.
Best Part: The instrumental buildup to the chorus.
Rating: 2/5

31. Netherlands
The Common Linnets - “Calm After the Storm”
Reaction: Like Denmark, the Netherlands is back to its old tricks. This country song is a heartfelt post-breakup reflection. Musically, it's the same throughout and really boring.
Best Part: “Tears on a highway/Water in my eyes”... only teardrops?
Rating: 2/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home