free web site hit counter

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Revisiting the Rankings: 14

Overrated: Belarus 2008
This was fabulous in its original version, but the Eurovision version was dragged down a lot. This is closer in quality to their 2009 song and I would re-rate it as such.

Underrated: Sweden 2006
It was a close decision between this and Montenegro 2013, as both are underrated and excellent but in different ways. “Igranka” is vibrant and contemporary and was robbed in competition. “Invincible” did much better in competition. Clearly I should have put it in my top 10 but underrated it because of my first taste of bitterness at my favorite in Melodifestivalen losing, and I had not yet learned to accept the result and passionately back the song that eventually won. However, as much as I enjoy “Igranka” more in the present dubstep cultural moment, I have enjoyed “Invincible” a lot more over the years as it's become a modern schlager classic. I can't rationalize “Igranka” going higher than maybe 10th place in my ranking, but I could put “Invincible” just outside the top 5.

Trivia: Belarus appeared twice at 14th place, in 2008 and 2011. This is the highest ranking for both Lithuania (2010) and Montenegro (2013). I don't think this is Lithuania's best song in the past 8 years, but this is Montenegro's best by far.

Other Songs: Denmark 2007, Moldova 2009, Bosnia & Herzegovina 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home