free web site hit counter

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Semi 2 Reactions

Wow, my predictions were pretty off! I predicted Israel, San Marino, and Switzerland to get in, which they didn't. Instead, Finland, Hungary, and Romania qualified. I'm surprised but not entirely disappointed. This result will make for a very entertaining show on Saturday! The show itself was great, definitely more "Eurovision-y" than the first semifinal.

I checked the #eurovision tag on Tumblr and the reaction there is Iceland = Thor and Romania = gay dubstep Dracula. I would say that's an accurate description, except Cezar can't be a Dracula because he's wearing a cross (unless the rules changed post-Twilight).

Tomorrow I'm going to take a break from Eurovision land to see some "real music"...then again one of the bands includes a singer who the British public passed over in favor of Scooch in 2007, so it can't be thaaaaat hipster (yes it can, see location).

I'll put my prediction out there and say that like everyone else I think Denmark will win. It's both a fan favorite and an iTunes hit in several participating countries. Not to the extent that "Euphoria" was last year, though. No Eurovision songs are in the top 100 "everywhere" on Spotify, while this time last year "Euphoria" was comfortably in the top 10. Still, it's good enough. If you want to get superstitious, here's an omen: the last time Sweden hosted Eurovision (2000), someone who had a hit with "Total Eclipse of the Heart" represented the United Kingdom and Denmark won. Could it be a repeat?

Good luck to all the performers on Saturday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home